Some of my fondest memories as a child were camping with my family in the summer. Each year, we'd take a float trip down the Niobrara River and camp for a few days. We'd spend the day canoeing along and then spend the evening trying to see who can find the most firewood, make dutch oven cobbler and tell ghost stories. The best part of the trip were those nights around the camp fire playing UNO or trying to scare my younger brother into thinking there is a guy named Three Fingered Jack (which I had no idea there was a mountain named this until I moved to Oregon).
My husband and I love the great outdoors but since Lil B was born, we haven't camped. Each weekend, we say we're going to go but we don't and then our friends gave us a little push so we met them out last weekend along Cascade Lakes Highway.
Even though we forgot a few things (the pack n play being the most important), the camping trip was successful. The only minor thing to happen was Lil B didn't take a nap and got a little overtired. He wouldn't go to sleep so we took him for a car ride and he slept from 6:30 pm to 6 am. I bundled him in his sleeping bag and fleece footie jammies and not a peep until morning.
[caption id="" align="alignright" width="240" caption="Mud pies"][/caption]
Some of the highlights of the camping trip:
- Lil B learned how to make mud pies
- I tried stand up paddle boarding and loved it
- We played UNO and I learned I was playing it wrong all these years
- Our dog is good at keeping the chipmunks away
- Compostable baby wipes are not just for a baby's butt but have a multitude of uses during a camping trip
- Kids (and parents) get really dirty while camping
- I can take 3 kids under 4 years old for a walk along with a dog off leash and have no problems
- There are a lot of stars out at 3 am when I have to pee "camping style"
- A two year old will stay away from the camp fire after one time of feeling the heat
- Once a bag of kettle corn is open, you have to finish it
- A bucket and pail will keep a toddle busy for hours
You can view more photos here.