Sunday, March 1, 2009

$100 grcoery challenge

So Brian and I are going to TRY to spend only $100 this month on groceries. We took inventory of our freezer and cupboards and said what the heck! The rules are as follows -- we can only spend $100 this month on groceries. We are excluding diapers, baby food (which we hardly buy), baby items, household cleaning products and beauty items like shampoo and deodorant. We are reserving $100 ($50 a piece) in a jar for fun items. Tonight, I bought a $4 box of Thin Mints so now I have $46 left. My guess is my husband will spend all of his money on beer since that does count against our groceries. Each Saturday, I will take inventory of the cupboards, freezer and make a meal list and then shop for what I need.

This week's list is:
Cheese & Vegetable Pizza
Veggie Burgers
Tacos
Olive, tomato pasta
Spinach Ravioli

Now that I type this, I notice we only have one meat item. My frig is FULL of meat too so my guess is the second will we'll be diving into meat!

I also want to thank everyone for their tips. A co-worker told me that I should check out the Dollar Tree for items. I never knew they food! Grocery Outlet is an awesome place for deals as well. I did sign up for The Grocery Game's free trial as well so I will report on my findings there. If you sign up, please let them know I referred you (my email is shanleeatgmail.com). I'll post some of the tips I've received in weeks to come as well.

If you read this blog and are on Twitter, you can follow me more closely by adding me as a friend as well.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's a blog you might want to follow along on during your challenge...

http://suddenlyfrugal.wordpress.com/