Saturday, November 7, 2009

If you say you don't like to, then you won't like it

For months I have said how much I hate running but then I came down with this chest cold and it's killing me each day I'm not running. Someone smart (my mom) once told me that if I hate something, then I hate something. Does that makes sense? I ran today and felt like I was going to die afterwards. If I'm not better by Wednesday, it's back to Urgent Care I go. BLAH.

When I was a child, my parents tried to get me to be athletic. My mom enrolled me into soccer where I embarrassed her by skipping down the field. Obviously, soccer wasn't my thing.  Then she made me sign up for t-ball. I would be out in the outfield day dreaming away missing the pop flies. When I was in the sixth grade I decided that I wanted to hang out with my friends more which meant I had to try out for volleyball and basketball. Big fails considering I was the tallest girl in my class. I've always been a failure at athletics.  I have to give my mom props. She came to my games and I'm sure she painfully watched as I skipped along or daydreamed in the outfield.  I do know she was really proud of my flute playing abilities. She would tell everyone that I was bound to be a marching Huskers (to her dismay, I did not want to try out for the Husker Marching Band nor did I when I went to the University of Nebraska).

Me and the tweeps racing the Salmon Run. (Photo Courtesy of <a href=Last spring, movitvated by my friend Jen who wanted to run a 5k by her 35th birthday, I decided to give something a try I never thought I could do or enjoy -- running. So we followed the Couch to 5K program and in 12 weeks we were running a 5k. Jen and the gang went onto run a 10k but I twisted my ankle on the river trail and my doctor told me to walk instead -- so I spent two months walking four days a week along the Deschutes River Trail.   A month ago, I started back up but now I have this nasty chest cold and I'm so mad. I want to run the Mash Potato Run in a few weeks. ARGH! You're not supposed to run when you have a chest cold. ( photo courtesy of Jen Floyd)

I'd like to think my mom is proud of my running. I'm not too sure she'd be too proud of my roller derby days though.

1 comment:

Liana said...

I was also one of the tallest girls in my class, yet I spent my elementary school PE career getting sideaches every time I had to run, and crying every time I was up to bat at anything. I attribute the sideaches to not having anyone ever teach me how to run and breathe at the same time (my parents weren't very athletic). That pretty much foiled my desire to play any team sport, plus I wasn't very coordinated. I finally found a niche in swimming. Now I need the equivalent of your friend Jen: someone to motivate me to get to a pool.