Sunday, December 13, 2009

Easy pretzel turtles

[caption id="attachment_450" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Pretzel turtles! YUM."]Pretzel turtles! YUM.[/caption]

One of my favorite things to do as a child around Christmas time was bake cookies with my mom. We would make gum drop cookies, easy fudge, pecan sandies and spritz cookies. Before she died, my mom bought me a spritz cookie maker but I tried and tried and I couldn't make those darn cookies! One of my traditions is making pecan sandies, though, I haven't made them yet this year. Maybe I will do that today?

I got invited to my first cookie exchange and I wanted to make something that was easy, yummy and fun to make. I went back and forth on what the heck to do and then Our Best Bites had a recipe for easy pretzel turtles. Salty and sweet! Yum! I had to prepare three dozen of something and I was done in 10 mins with cookie exchange cookie.

I think this will be a new tradition as the extras I had left over are now gone thanks to my husband, toddler and myself.

Enjoy!

Easy Pretzel Turtles

courtesy of Our Best Bites

small pretzels
Rolo candies - one bag has about 55 candies
Pecan halves - or optionally peanuts, cashews, and m&m's
Optional: almond bark or white chocolate for drizzling

This is easy as can be! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place pretzels on a parchment lined baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper for easy handling, but you can also put them on foil, a silpat, or directly onto the cookie sheet.

Unwrap your Rolo candies and place one on top of each pretzel like a cute little hat.

Don't they look like they're just standing there waiting for an order? At least someone in my house stands at attention because heaven knows my children don't!

Place pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Any longer is probably too long. You just want the chocolate on the outside to look glossy and melty, but they should still hold their shape.

Remove pan from oven and take a pecan and gently press it right into the center of the chocolate candy.

This will be my next challenge as my husband loves egg nog.

No comments: