Thursday, January 14, 2010

The hand still gives me the creeps

I divorced Hamburger Helper in 1997. As a poor college student who lived on her own, I ate a lot of hamburger helper, ramen noodles and often crashed my grandmother’s house for dinner (she lived down the street from me). One evening, I ate some Hamburger Helper while studying and then got violently ill. I threw up all night and missed work and school the next day. Horribly dehydrated, my aunt took me to the doctor (this was about a year after my mother died) where it was discovered I had E Coli poisoning. Though I’m pretty sure it was the meat that I got sick from, I swore off Hamburger Helper in any way, shape or form.

Fast forward to being married 10 years later – my husband brings home a box of Hamburger Helper. I can’t even be in the room with it I’m so scared from that stuff. My husband is sad. His days of Hamburger Helper are over. I’m a good cook so he’s pretty much ok with not having Hamburger Helper but I think he secretly longs for it.
Since we’re eating better in our house, I found this recipe on EatBetterAmerica.com for "Healthified" Mexican Pasta Skillet which I knew my husband would love and devour. At first he was a little skeptical and made sure I was not making it with ground turkey (I have snuck ground turkey in many meals and he hasn’t noticed the difference but if he sees it, he won’t eat the leftovers the next day). This dish cooks up pretty quick and I questioned not pre-boiling the noodles but it all worked out. Anyway, he loved it and even devoured the leftovers (which he never does). He also told me to put it in my regular rotation of meals to make.  Yay for being a good wife and finding a healthy alternative to Hamburger Helper I can actually stand to look at and eat without having flashbacks of that bathroom with the god awful pink toliet!

Here is the recipe! Now if I could only get my toddler to eat it!



[caption id="attachment_648" align="alignleft" width="275" caption="Mexican Pasta Skillet"][/caption]

"Healthified" Mexican Pasta Skillet















prep time:30 min

start to finish:30 min

makes:6 servings (about 1 1/3 cups each)
































1lb extra-lean (at least 93%) ground beef
1jar (16 oz) Muir Glen® organic mild salsa
1cup Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce (from 15-oz can)
1   1/2cups water
2cups uncooked regular or multigrain elbow macaroni
1cup Green Giant® Niblets® frozen corn
1/2cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
















1.In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
2.Stir in salsa, tomato sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender.
3.Sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

3 comments:

monkeyinabox said...

Nice. HH is decent at best, but damn easy. This looks better AND easy too. I think the fact that Jon raved about it makes me want to try this even more. Bravo.

One thing to edit in this post: "One evening, I ate some Hamburger Helper while studying and then got violently."

Either add "ill" of make it "violent". I like the idea of random induced Hamburger Helper violence. ;)

Shannon said...

Sheesh. I even proofed it! It's corrected.

wendy said...

I made this tonight, and I really like it. I think the only thing it's missing is a blob of sour cream.