Friday, January 8, 2010

Uh oh

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="180" caption="Lil B"]B and Lil B[/caption]

What happened to the kid that ate everything? One day, he loves Pasta Pick Ups. Then the next week, he won't eat a single one! It was the only way this kid would even touch a vegetable. He loves the Morningstar Farms Veggie Bites but now no one in Bend sells them. I've been to every stinkin' grocery store and have walked out empty handed. The kid who loved carrots now hates them. It's so frustrating. Please tell me this is normal for a 19 month old?!?!?!?!

He does great at breakfast. He'll eat just about everything BUT eggs. He also is telling us he's hungry by grabbing his bib from the high chair and bringing it to you. (Look away Dr. Middleton - he does this with his bottle for milk too) Right now, he's into cheese quesadillas or chicken nuggets. I know if I make one, he'll eat it no problem but I am praying he doesn't wake up one day and not want to eat one. When I make dinner for the family, he usually won't eat it. I do put it on his plate but he won't try it or gives it to the dog (who is now getting fatter each day). Sometimes I'll try to feed it to him but he usually spits it out.  The cutest thing he does lately is eat yogurt with a spoon from the cup. I need to get it on video it's so cute.

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs!"][/caption]

A stand-by in our house is this lovely recipe from Everyday Food. He used to go completely nuts over spaghetti and meatballs. Not anymore. I'm sure this will all change because I'm not going to be a short order cook!

Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs


Serves 4

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

  • 2 garlic cloves, minced

  • 1 large egg

  • 1 pound ground beef chuck

  • 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree

  • 3/4 pound spaghetti


Directions



  1. Set a large pot of salted water to boil. In a bowl, combine Parmesan, parsley, garlic, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and breadcrumbs; mix gently. Form into 16 balls.

  2. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add meatballs, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover partially, and cook, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.

  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and return to pot; add meatballs and sauce, and toss gently. Serve with Parmesan.

8 comments:

Liana said...

Don't get me started on picky eating kids. I'm one of the moms that rejects the idea of making anyone a special dinner unless they have been throwing up and are on a clear liquid diet. Part of the idea that "you get the kind of kid you want" is that if you want a kid that eats everything, you feed them everything. If they spit it out, that's too darned bad for them. That's what's for dinner. If they are hungry enough they'll eat practically anything, and if they throw a tantrum, they can go to their room and come back when they're ready to eat. When my kid goes to another person's house, the last thing I want is them spitting out food and complaining about it, so making them a special meal does them a disservice when they are in the "real world".

When "picking my battles" with my daughter, the battle over whether she eats what is put in front of her is a battle I choose to fight. Sometimes I have to explain that "a person needs to taste something 10 times before they can make an educated decision whether they like it or not", so she needs to take a "taster bite" of everything, every time.

wendy said...

It's just a phase. Next week he'll love something different that he used to hate and hate something else he used to love.

Nanette said...

My 15-month-old looooved all those Pasta Pick-ups, then all of a sudden started only eating certain flavors of them. So annoying.

Alissa said...

Ha! You just described Owen at 20 months. Breakfast only (no eggs) and just crackers the rest of the day. I asked Dr. M at our 2-year visit if I should be alarmed if Owen ate NOTHING, and he didn't even skip a beat to say - "Nope. That's totally normal for 2 year olds." Thankfully, by 2 1/2 Owen is getting better. The hardest thing is just not stressing about it. I get SOOO frustrated when I take the time to make dinner and then it gets totally rejected, but I just tell myself he's not rejecting me... just the food. Urgh.

Giovanni Breier said...

More photos, that'll be greater, the correct graphic have an overabundance of impact for the content, no matter how great is the this article.
You can accomplish it better. Thank you
Giovanni Breier

financial spreadsheets said...

fascinating website I can abide by you my personal twitter ! i really hope

auto loan said...

This Microsoft zune concentrates on for a Transportable Media channels Battler. An excellent browser. An excellent game machine. Probably in the foreseeable future it can conduct best of all in people parts, until then it is just a wonderful approach to organize and also take note of your popular music as well as video clips, and it is with no peer in that regard. The particular iPod's advantages are generally their net exploring and programs. If those appear additional engaging, probably it is your best option.

Adolph Panzica said...

I'd just like to say i love this site so much!!! thhanks for it all