Sunday, August 3, 2008

The joys of second hand

Yes, I'm going to admit -- I'm a cheapskate. I hardly had to buy anything for Ben because my friends and family wiped out my registry and gave me gift cards. I'm so thankful for this but now Ben is growing out of his 0-3 month clothes and I started flipping out that an outfit (pants, onsie and shirt) at Fred Meyer cost $24!!! Then my husband reminded me that we had a used baby/kid store called Stone Soup and so I went and checked it out on Friday and I'm glad I did! I can get good quality, used whole outfits for Ben for $6 and I stocked up. I even found him a snowsuit for when we snowshoethis winter using our new Kelty Kid Carrier.

I also started a Stone Soup bin of things I'm going to exchange for store credit.

So I guess I better stop stressing because I found the perfect solution to my cheapskateness!

Yesterday we introduced Ben to Cascade Lakes Highway and Elk Lake. We usually spend a lot of time up there in July and August but since he's little, we are taking baby steps into introducing him to the Central Oregon Lifestyle. Our first baby step was just taking him for a ride and a quick hike around Elk Lake. Brian even had him dressed up in his tie dye onsie (for Jerry Garcia week - not my idea) and camping hat. Ben slept most of the time though and on the way home, cried in the car seat. I think his ears were popping because the second he started sucking on a pacifier he stopped and fell asleep.



Brian wants to head to the coast in the next two weeks. I'm a little nervous about going esp the car ride with a baby who doesn't like the car seat. We'll see if it happens. I'd rather wait a few months.

1 comment:

Kat said...

My personal opinion is that it's good to get them traveling early. I took Devon to the coast when she was 7 weeks old. I think it helped her to be more flexible. Or else she was just a really good baby.